The main activities of the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation
1. Rainmaking operation in agricultural area, forest and reservoirs.
2. Research and development of Royal rainmaking technology and weather modification.
3. Administration of the aviation for rainmaking and service.
For these activities, the annual work plans for 5 Royal rainmaking centers in each region were prepared and 11 Royal rainmaking operation units were settled under the control of Royal rainmaking centers covering 25 basins of the country.
1. Rain enhancement by 5 Royal Rainmaking Centers covering all over Thailand during February – October.
The operations can be divided into 2 periods as follows.
1.1 Period 1 (February-April) The main purpose of rainmaking operation in this period is to increase moisture over the agricultural area during dry season e.g. off season rice, fruits and tree at Chao Phraya river basin and then expand to other areas when the weather condition is provided.
1.2 Period 2 (May-October) The rainmaking operation in this period is to increase water in agricultural area at the beginning of cropping season and to solve drought problem in case of delayed rainy season or dry spell during planting season.
2. Increasing water storage in reservoirs during June– October. The operation in this period is to increase water storage in reservoirs which are the main water resources over the country in order to store water for consumption, ecosystem conservation, pushing salt water, agriculture, tourism and industry.
3. Forest fire and haze suppression in northern and southern Thailand during November – December and February - May respectively. The Royal rainmaking in this period is to decrease the density of haze and increase moisture over the forests in northern and southern Thailand.
4. Hail suppression – These operations have been conducted in Thailand during March - May.